Listing information for J’s and B’s Church, taken from British Listed Building
Entry Name: Church of St James and St Basil
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304548
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE FENHAM HALL DRIVE
8/236 Church of St. James and St. Basil.
Parish church. 1927-31 by E.E. Lofting; paid for by Sir James Knott in memory of his sons James and Basil, killed in First World War. Snecked tooled sandstone with ashlar dressings, moulded plinth and large quoins; graduated Lakeland slate roof with roll-moulded gable copings. Nave and south aisle; south-east tower; tall north vestry. Free Gothic style. Double doors, boarded and studded, in 2-centred arches, that at west moulded and shafted, that at south under corbelled shallow gable. Tall traceried windows of 2 lights to twin-gabled west front and to nave and aisle; smaller similar windows to tower south front; and 3-light windows on east of tower and in chancel, this last very tall. Aisle and nave have corbel table. Tower has 2 small windows above drip mould of east window; Lombard frieze
above these; and paired belfry openings with pierced shuttering under battlements. Buttressed stair turret at south west has octagonal top with stone spirelet. Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings; king-post roof; ribbed vault to tower memorial chapel. 4-bay arcade of chamfered arches on tall octagonal columns; similar archesto chapel. Arches with Moorish wood screens on north to organ chamber; one similar arch and oriel screen,above tower chapel, for organ pipes. Corbelled arcaded stone frieze below sills. Marble-flagged chancel floor. Inlaid wood altar and retable; elaborately-carved reredos. High quality glass. Historical, note: said to be built with stone from Dobson’s 1830 Newcastle prison, in Carliol Square, demolished at that time.
Listing NGR: NZ2255265576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.